The Hampton University Band Program currently consists of the Marching Band, the Concert Band, the Symphonic Winds and the Basketball Band. Each of these organizations strive to provide a high level of musical experience for its members, and provides music for various University functions under the umbrella of the Department of Music.
The Hampton University Marching Band, “The Force”, is a grand example of the positive impact of music on student engagement and success. The Force provides experiences which assist students in their ability to assume responsibility, establish a professional attitude, gain self-confidence, develop a humanistic attitude toward life, become proficient in their area of musical specialization, appreciate diverse cultures, and contribute positively to the world around them.
The Force is most often found serving alongside the Hampton University football team on Saturday game days. Fan anticipation is reserved for half time and the battle that will ensue to determine the musical champion of the day. It is a sight to behold and an adventure within itself. The cadence of the Drum Majors leading the march of musicians on a mission to perform at their best and make the audience feel their drive in the depths of their chest along with the beat of the S.T.I.C.K.Y. Situation drum line. The Ebony Fire dance team and S.I.L.K.Y. flag line sway in rhythmic unison, while the crowd watches in awe, mesmerized. They execute so precisely and so effortlessly, that the audience never fully understands the extreme dedication and hard work that goes into making each performance an exquisite experience for the senses of sight and sound.
Ultimately, the band experience creates opportunities of a lifetime that build character and promote success. Listed below are some of the experiences that the Hampton University Marching Band has been invited to participate in over the years:
- 1936 – Hampton Band wins “Best Band Award” at Sesquicentennial celebration parade Lynchburg, VA.
- 1988 – Band performs for the Arizona Cardinals (formally Phoenix)
- 1996 – Hampton’s band performs with Montell Jordan in Indianapolis against FAMU.
- 1999 – Hampton’s band performs halftime for the New York Jets
- 1999 – Hampton’s band featured on television at halftime for Circle City Classic in Indianapolis.
- 1999 – Hampton’s band performed in First “Battle of the Bay Bands against NSU”
- 1999 – Hampton’s band featured on television during heritage bowl performance.
- 2001 – First organization to perform at Giants Stadium 11 days after the terrorism events of 9/11 in concert with VSU
- 2003 – Band is featured on BET while performing in the New York Urban League Classic at Giants Stadium
- 2003 – Band performs with Hip Hop Recording Artist “Chingy” during Halftime of the Cleveland Classic
- 2005 – Band is featured on BET while performing in the Ford Labor Day Classic at Ford Field in Detroit
- 2006 – Band performs with Recording Artist “Young Dro” during Halftime of the MEAC/SWAC challenge in Birmingham, Alabama
- 2009 – Band performs in the Presidential Inauguration Parade of the 44th President of the US, President Barack Obama
- 2016 – Band travels to Honduras to conduct an International Music Camp